I've dug up the archives to provide for you.
What are the archives?
I may or may not have kept record of all of my dates. Sounds peculiar, I know, but you know when you are 80 you will be jelly-cat and want a list just like mine. So shush.
Journey back in time with me to December 23rd-ish 1997 - my first date. The funny thing is, in LDS culture, a "date" doesn't necessarily mean the person is interested in romantically pursuing you, especially prior to the man having gone on a mission from the ages of 19-21. My best guy pal at the time, 18-year old Mikey T, took it upon himself to invite me on a double date over Christmas break.
Back track. Mikey T was one of those guys every girl wanted - the jock, the intellect, the musician, the performer. Yes, he had it all. Including me as a best pal. He'd show up to my high school for lunch sometimes and girls would almost swarm me asking for his number. Guy pals reading, don't worry, I don't give in. Mikey eventually ended up attending Senior Prom with me, which is a cute little tale in and of itself. He always told me my job was to keep him humble and to approve of his future wife before he could marry her...and I did:-)
So, Mikey asks me and I say yes. The problem? Two hours of driving. And eating. Why is that a problem? I had had my wisdom teeth removed two days prior.
I can't remember much about the date. I do remember:
- Playing Outburst and talking faster than I have ever talked
- Mike laughing and laughing and laughing at me because he'd never seen me that way
- Ordering mashed potatoes at Friendly's because I couldn't eat anything else
- Feeling deliriously happy...and it had nothing to do with the company and everything to do with whatever pain medication I'd taken
- Being very grateful for having such an amazing friend whom I could spend time with totally being myself..or..umm...a prescription-enhanced, chipmunk-cheeked version of myself
And now you know I was 17.5 before I got to go on my first date. I can only blame myself. I was too involved with gymnastics team, baton team, show choir, twirling for football games, scholastic endeavors, etc. And now you know I was drugged on my first date;-)
|Kristy, Mikey T, and me on my back porch in Ohio for some bonfire/activity in September 1997 - we three even all had a joint b-day party a few weeks later|