Wednesday, July 30, 2008
So, yep, you guys guessed it - I eloped! J/k. Tempting though.
I auditioned for American Idol. I have long stated that I am a Broadway singer, so I'd never make it through. I had many dissenters and I thought, "Hey, it is 15 minutes away and it sucks saying I never even tried!" So, I went and auditioned.
I saw my friends Brittany Belinski, Jeff Hofman, Rob, Steve, and a few others. I made friends with my neighbor from Maryland who had auditioned 3 times. Clarissa in the food line, whom we talked to for 30 minutes, friggin' ROCKS and made it through, so I hope to see her on TV. The girl singing next to me made it through too and I gave her a HUGE smile and thumbs up b/c I knew she made it through before she did! I hope I see her on TV too!
Before you start your condolences, I, for newfound reasons, did not and do not care about the auditions - it was one of those things you just want to exclaim "I did it!" I sang Patsy Cline's "Crazy."
Monday night my current beau of a couple months decided to put things on hold for awhile. I was up most of the night and morning sobbing. I realized during the audition process that my relationships are much more important to me than singing. I watched all of these people who would give their lives to go through and I was just amused with saying I'd been there!
The inside scoop about this show?
1. This is a show being cast like any other sitcom - they have set character roles they want and are looking for the best actors to fit the parts.
2. Only about 1 in every 100 get through the first round.
3. There are 2-3 rounds before what you see on TV.
4. The preliminary judges are much harsher than Simon will ever be.
5. They put you on lock-down for HOURS and you can't leave until you audition and they make you pay $4 for a drink!
6. There really are crazy people there...but only about a dozen...and they all get put through because those are the characters being cast. Carry a puppet and that golden ticket is yours.
7. I am now 100% sure Broadway is my forte - I feel no passion for pop.
8. I always thought singing for a living would be a dream-come-true, perhaps it would on the stage, but I now realize my dream is being with the people I love. I know, you could practically make syrup with all my sap, but it is true:-)
9. 100's of INCREDIBLE singers did not make it through. I'm serious. I heard 100's of people who are BETTER than half the finalists we have heard in the past. Don't ask me how they pick 'em - I'm more lost than ever!
10. The possibility of fame brings out the animal in most people.
That's that! Any questions?